Reflections on Rehumanizing The Virtual Workplace

 The other day a librarian friend sent me a link to Nancy Doyles Forbes article entitled ÈProfessor Ahmad's Six-Month Wall:  Rehumanizing the Virtual WorkplaceÈ.   As might be expected,  the article focuses on how we cope with life as we move into a winter characterized by ongoing COVID infections and social distancing.   I copied a few lines that struck me as interesting:

The desire to "get away" or "make it stop" is intense.


We've already re-learned how to do groceries, host meetings, and even teach classes. And we have found new ways to be happy and have fun. But as the days get shorter and colder, we need to be ready to innovate again. 


But just don't expect to be sparklingly happy or wildly creative in the middle of your wall. Right now, if you can meet your obligations and be kind to your loved ones, you get an A+.

I won't copy anything else in case you are interested in reading the article for yourself.  By the way, I recommend at least scanning through it. Maybe you'll want to keep the URL for future reference too.

Anyway, there were a few reflections about these lines that I want to share with readers.  Ok, yeah, if I could banish meetings and classes via MS Teams, Zoom, and Skype, I would be eternally grateful.  Using a Zoom background has acted as a bit of a barrier keeping my webcam from intruding into my home.  I am grateful that someone has said something that validates the way that I've been feeling lately about the prospect of being cooped up in my house for most, if not all, of the upcoming winter.  Of course, I am grateful that I have a home that is a safe and warm place to be.  Many people in the world do not have this luxury.  On the other hand, it's good to have someone recognize that there is something less than human using almost exclusively electronic communication and interacting with other people in general for months on end.  The fact that I do not live alone is a blessing so at least I get some in-person interaction.  Even trips to the store aren't all that fulfilling from a socialization point of view.  People quickly get what they need and get out of the store.  We can't even see a smile anymore because of the necessary masks we need to wear in public.  Yes, I have to admit that I really do miss the type of social interactions that I used to have and I have to admit that the longing for them has been more intense lately.

Regarding the need to relearn how to live our lives, I find that comment intriguing.  I'm the type who loves to be creative and innovate.  I think that reframing the upcoming months as an opportunity to innovate and come up with new solutions will help me greatly.  Thanks to the article for helping me out with that one.

Finally, we all get an A+ for just meeting our basic obligations and being kind to our loved ones.  We don't have to be superheros.    Once again, thanks for that.

Anyway, I thought that I'd share this article and my thoughts about it with you.  I suspect that most of us can identify with the article in one way or the other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metadata Update #20: April 2014 RDA updates

U.S. Indigenous Literature Awards Webinar

Metadata Update #24 : Metadata as part of the user experience